Wednesday, September 13, 2006

I've been channeling my dad's taste in music lately. I've replaced showtunes with Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra and Tony Bennett and Neil Sedaka. I love Neil Sedaka! When I was in Grade 5, I had one of his cassettes and listened to it all the time. Sweet Sixteen? Calendar Girl? Such nice wholesome songs. However, now that I'm older and a tad smarter, and he's definitely waaaaaay older, wholesome has turned to sleazy. Think about it: a septuagenarian singing, "Tonight's the night I've waited for. Because you're not a baby anymore. You've turned into the prettiest girl I've ever seen. Happy birthday sweet sixteen," obviously very happy that this little girl he lived next door is now ready for bumping and grinding. Ew! But I guess the song is pretty old. Perhaps when it was first recorded, it was actually appropriate for mainstream listening. I wonder how people will react though if he performs it in November at The Center?

For "The Center," does the "the" actually have to be capitalized? Coz it looks kinda pretentious, because who are we to claim that we are the one and only most awesome Center out there. But then just "Center" looks kinda weird. I prefer just saying OCPAC. But "Thank you for calling OCPAC sounds a bit crude." Oh well.

4 Comments:

At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHy are you using words like "septuagenerian?"

We believe you're smart you don't have to prove it.

 
At 8:24 PM, Blogger Life said...

Oh good. Good to know, indeed.

 
At 8:31 PM, Blogger karen said...

That Sweet Sixteen song was for his daughter you dork. He's being a proud papa.

 
At 8:32 PM, Blogger Life said...

It sounds so wrong, though!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home