Saturday, October 02, 2004

Thank you for calling

As much as I love the speed and convenience of communicating through e-mails and cell phones, it sucks schweaty balls that I never get real, personal mails anymore. Back when I was ghetto and didn't have regular internet access or a cell phone, I used to get those things and, my god, did they warmed my stone-cold heart! Now, all I get are bills. Bills, bills, bills. And despite the fact that I hate receiving them and loathe paying them off, the allure of the promised discount coupon when you earn so many points is sweet and gets me spending. So this week, even though I received most of my bills for the month, I'm still in a very good mood because aside from the nasty things, I got a handful of coupons and a rebate check from when I bought something from somewhere. Which is perfect because (a) I get to go shopping for Illinois and (b) there are a lot of DVDs and CDs coming out soon that I'm looking forward to. So yay!

My first paper for World Cinema is due in a week or so, and so far, I've only seen a quarter of one of the three movies that I have to watch. And judging from it and the fraction of the readings I've done, it won't be too interesting a paper to write. My topic has to do with French director Robert Bresson. Who is insane. He keeps saying things like, one shouldn't film a scene; one should paint it. And the people in the movie aren't actors, the are models. They don't portray, they become. It's basically a couple of thousand pages of that, accompanied by three movies guaranteed to bring you tears of boredom. I'm totally looking forward to writing it and sending it to all of the class to read and critique. Should be tons of fucking fun. And not humiliating at all. No siree...

So, work is fun. I'm getting used to strangers calling me "darling" and "sweetie" and "love" and "dearheart" (wtf?) over the phone. I talked to an Australian guy today who, for some reason, was having trouble understanding my American accent, which was weird. I understood him perfectly, and everything, and I would think because the accent is so commonplace and you can hear it just about everywhere, it'd be easy to pick-up.

So yeah. Blah, blah, blah.

God, I'm a fountain of cheer and fun stories, aren't I?


1 Comments:

At 6:56 PM, Blogger karen said...

i haven't received real mail in a while either. bert sent us a post card from hawaii on his last trip. that was it. effin' bills!

i've been called sunshine and precious (and this was during the time that LoTR was in full swing) at work too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home