Friday, June 09, 2006

Interesting how things turn out. My day of loafing around became a sleepless night, and I didn't even have a paper to write.

Camisha invited me to go to Dave n' Busters. I thought it was going to be just our group, but some other strangers/friends' friends and high school people were there. Played some games, drank some drinks. And Annisa was there! Annisa who I had French and honors classes with all throughout high school and was very good friends with and whom I haven't seen since first year of college. Annisa!!! We had a very squealy and huggy reunion, rather short-lived though because she had to leave. We exchanged phone numbers quickly and she left and Camisha and I rushed to the bar because they announced the last call for drinks.

I got home at two, got ready for bed, then went online to see if I can salvage some of my iPod songs, at least. At three, my dad opened the door to my room. I braced myself for another lecture on my bad sleeping habits, but instead, he said he was going to the hospital. He had a massive headache and high blood pressure the night before, and now it's back. He was worried he was showing signs of stroke. I said I'd drive.

During the drive, my dad and I talked a bit about the road trip, mostly about the car situation. He said to use the corolla instead, since it's mine anyway and it has some insurance thing where if it breaks down, the insurance company will give me a replacement. And if we do end up using it, I should get the tires replaced first. (So Sandy, tell your parents already!) He was pretty open to the idea of me going on the trip, actually. I've heard him talk to my mom about them exploring the country first before going off to visit others.

Anyway, it's so much more difficult to trust doctors if you can't actually see what they're doing. At least in ER, you see them talk to the patients, prescribe medicine and order tests, and do all those other things doctors have to do, so you know they're actually doing something. In real life, they talk to you and leave for hours. I was in the waiting room for over two hours. In ER, patients with minor health problems always crash after they get seen by a doctor. Worst case scenarios run through my head. What? I had no idea what was going on behind the waiting room doors, and I watch too much ER, obviously.

I got up to look for a vending machine. The receptionist got a clue, and finally let me in to see my dad. He was on a gurney in this little exam room waiting for results of his CT. They had pumped him with meds to help with the headache so he was groggy. While I was looking around the room, I saw they had a cabinet labeled "Eye Drill Bits." Ewwww! Please oh please, never let me be in a situation where they have to use those on me! The doctor came in after what felt like several thousand minutes, and announced that the CT looks normal, but if the problem persists, he should get a spinal tap. In ER they only do spinal taps if it's really serious, and dude it hurts like a mofo! The doctor explained what goes on in a spinal tap: "They use a needle this big, inject it in your lower spine and drain spinal fluid. It hurts a lot, and hurts for days." Pretty much, he discouraged my dad from doing it. Maybe it wasn't really necessary? To me, it sounded like he was too lazy to do it. It's hard to trust someone when they use a falsely cheerful and I've-recited-this-speech-over-and-over-again-to-others-sounding voice, much like how we sound when talking about Wicked onsale, I guess. So his "you are healthy, go forth and be happy" spiel became, to me, evidence of his incompetence. And if something bad happens to my dad, I know whose ass I will beat up and leave for dead in a ditch in Santa Ana.

Don't you hate it when your parents tell you they're worried about being gone, because who will take care of your mom and your siblings? I may be lazy now, but dude, I'm responsible and of course I'd never let anything happen to my family! I hate when my dad talks about these things, because it makes me have to face the reality of what will eventually have to happen. It scares me.

Anyway, we got home at 6:45, went to sleep at 7.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home