Wednesday, November 10, 2004

news at 11

I have another current events quiz for Comm tomorrow. I hate current events quizzes. I rarely do well on them. Even at Bridget, I always failed at them. Anyway, to prepare, I have to read the LA Times. So far, I've only read 3 articles. One about murder at the Long Beach aquarium, one about the death of Yasser Arafat, one about Ah-nuld Schwarzenegger in Japan.

I've never been too emotionally involved with news stories, but the Long Beach story was an exception. A few nights ago, some idiotic middle-schoolers snuck in at the shark tank at the aquarium, and tortured a few of them to death. It was a really wrong thing to do, and I'm really sad. Sharks may not be the best creatures in the world, but still. Have some mercy! A lump was about to form in my throat, but I held it back. I can't show weakness at a time like this -- a time when innocent, captive sharks are being wrongfully victimized...

Contrast that with my reaction to the Yasser Arafat story. I just thought, "Uh, okay. Sucks for the Palestinians." Rather than have an emotional response to the story, my main concern was the article was too long, and that the time I spend poring through is taking away minutes I could use to read more interesting articles.

So I channeled my energy into the Schwarzenegger article. He's going to Japan to shoot a commercial, his earnings for which will be used to benefit funding of the California sumthing-sumthing. I wasn't surprised at all. I called for something like this to occur before he even won the election. And that's the only reason why I even clicked on the link. Sad.

I'm going to be such a good journalist.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home