Saturday, November 04, 2006

Mysteries of my middle name solved! Turns out Albarracin is a town in Spain. I will have to go there someday.

I have yet to find anything interesting on Macabuhay, only that it survived Hispanization and is one of the remaining truly Filipino surnames out there. Oh, and also that it means "life-giver."

On my search, I found this article, which doesn't sound too interesting really, but mentions on page 7 a Capt. Otik Macabuhay, who is probably my grandfather who I've never met, so that's pretty cool. Even cooler is that he headed an underground guerilla group in Cebu City that fought against the Spaniards. He's like a hero!

I should do a search on my maternal grandfather, but I can't remember his actual name. I don't think the keyword "papang" is specific enough to turn out anything informative :(

1 Comments:

At 12:05 AM, Blogger karen said...

that's totally lolo otik. how cool is that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home